Sunday 9th May 2021 - Boulston
Starting from County hall car park in Haverfordwest on a cloudy Sunday morning , twenty two ramblers set out past the skate park and along the Frolic. It was lovely to welcome a few new faces who joined us today for their first rambler walk with Pembrokeshire group. No water was flowing from the Medieval holy Higgons well today which we past on our right and there was little water in the western Cleddau as the tide was out, however it never fails none the less to provide a lovely view. The path follows closely but above the water ‘s edge with a few benches to enjoy the view, however no stopping yet for us! Also don't be deceived if there is a high spring tide you will need your wellies! A slight incline brings us out into an open field and the delightful Uzmaston church. Silence was observed as we passed so as not to disturb the morning Eucharist.
We emerged into Uzmaston village and followed the tree lined quiet back road towards Boulston. A brief stop for coffee and onwards to Boulston Hall passing behind it and through a range of old farm buildings before taking the track that turns right, down towards the river. At the bottom of the field , we took a right turn following the fence line to the remains of Boulston Church, dedicated to St Ismael, rebuilt in 1843 , one of only two privately owned Parish Churches in the Country.
Beautiful views could be seen of Boulston Manor, a late 18th century house, now a grand B and B , which lies 600m to the northwest of the ruined church. A brief time was spent looking at the church remains, the lovely arch window and grave stones dating back to 1702.
Lunch was taken in front of the church on the foreshore with views across the river towards Hook.
A short walk along the foresaw brought us to the remains of Boulston Manor Old Hall which is located on the banks of the Western Cleddau, some 3km to the southeast of Haverfordwest.
The site is located on a small inlet of the Cleddau, enclosed in woodland. It was the home to an important and wealthy branch of the Wogan family of Wiston.The earliest known occupant of Boulston was Henry Wogan in the early 15th century, however it was his grandson Richard who was the first recorded Wogan to live at Boulston in 1499. A short time was spent exploring the site which consists of the tumbled remnants of the main hall flanked by two three to four storey towers with the remains of an undercroft below. The site was clothed in wild garlic providing a wonderful scent.
We continued on the foreshore for a short distance before taking a wooded path where bluebells were emerging and on towards Norchard, taking the road leading back to Uzmaston. We arrived back at the church but continued on the road a short distance before taking a left hand track which leads to open fields. Onwards through the field on the right and down a wooded path, we then continued beside the river enjoying chatting to friends. We soon emerged onto the the road leading to the Territorial Army (TA ) centre where we took a left turn under the Haverfordwest bypass emerging onto the Picton playing field, Freemans way and back to the car park. The walk was about 8 miles which included river, woodland and easy track walking with some historical ruins.
My thanks to all who attended, hope to see you all again soon.
Sue Painter.





